Tuesday, March 9, 2010

You and Me, we're alike

People-watching: the art of taking on the characteristics of a wallflower; watching, listening, noticing, seeing; quietly rejoicing in other peoples' beautiful moments; ultimately acting like a creeper (but could ultimately care less).

I've picked my three favorite people-watching moments captured in some lucky photographs and, thanks to storypeople.com (my new favorite procrastination station), I've found other peoples' beautiful words to go with them.

"We listened as he played the guitar & sang old love songs & then there was a moment we looked at each other & discovered we were much younger than other people might suspect & it was good to know we had that much more time together."




"I'm not that good at being a tourist because I'm always looking at the way the light shines in your hair or the way your dress opens to the wind & my favorite places in the world are places filled with you."




"The first time his laughter unfurled its wings in the wind, we knew that the world would never be the same."


And if there's anything I've learned here thus far, it's that in this beating, ticking, breathing, moving body, I have my very own soundtrack, my very own voice. And nobody's is better, nobody's is worse. When I walk through Seaton Park, I hear French, Italian, Spanish, English. I see Moms with little white carriages and old men with walking sticks. We are all different, but more than that, we are all the same. "We're all just people," Mary says. In Scotland. In the U.S. Wherever you are. Wherever I am. And that truly brings me a great deal of comfort so far from home.

1 comment:

  1. one of my favorites as of late:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uuyG1AGcp8Q/Sfb_tIppmdI/AAAAAAAAAYQ/NsoZ_nz2IBs/s400/Picture+3.png

    ReplyDelete