Saturday, March 6, 2010

One for the books

This week has been one for the books. Sadly for my lecturers, I'm not referring to the real books I'm reading for classes. I'm talking about "the books." I wonder if whoever coined that phrase had an actual book in mind, but since I do not know him or her, I will interpret it as my own. Let me begin again: This week has been one for the books. What's the title? "How to Exercise While Smiling Your Face Off." No title judgments, it's my book and the obnoxiously long title is only fitting. There are only four chapters, but let me elaborate.

Chapter 1: Training for a 10K. Mary and I and a few other girls here are running a 10K in Edinburgh in May. We're at 3 miles now and working our way up! Our favorite place to run is to the North Sea and home, and somehow, the beauty of it all never ceases to amaze me. We normally run after my philosophy class around 5:15PM, which is ideal for the timing of the oranges, reds, pinks, and golds. Just when I look behind me and think the sunset is the most beautiful it could ever get... NOPE! It gets prettier. There is usually about a fifteen minute span of time where the colors are at their most vibrant. I could care less that the biting cold is freezing my arms and legs; the view is breathtaking. (Literally, have to catch my breath. I choose to attribute that to the sunset rather than my body whipping itself into shape.)

Chapter 2
: Joining the sports village. Mary and I recently joined Aberdeen's sports village. Once you sign up for a membership you can take any classes that you'd like. They have everything from step to cycling to weight-lifting to abs... to combat aerobics.

Chapter 3
: Combat Aerobics. First, a little history. I took dance classes for about three years. Why didn't they work out? Well, besides not being able to leap without sticking my butt out and my awkwardly tall and lanky middle-school bod, I cannot walk into a class without getting punchy. Ask anyone who has ever been in a dance class with me (a.k.a. my sister), and she will be the first to tell you that 1) I laugh too hard, and 2) for that reason, I cannot remember any of the choreography. So back to combat aerobics. We walk in and everyone is in the back. Who moves forward? Mary and I. (I knew this was a bad idea.) Our teacher starts teaching us routines with KICK, JAB, HOOK, UNDERCUT, DUCK, JUMP... I'm done for. I managed to bite my cheek and stop laughing for parts. Until she told us at the end of the routine to strike a pose. Who has two thumbs and struck it too early? This guy.


Chapter 4
: Salsa. Friday night, a few of my flatmates invited Mary and I to go Salsa dancing. Oh dang. At first I was a bit skeptical (because I have no idea how to salsa dance), but needless to say, it was a blast. The Ricky Martin and Shakira were perfect to get our grooves on and standing with my ears one inch away from the speakers (no lie) left me with ringing ears for the rest of the night. Scared out of my wits at first? Oh yes. Final thoughts? No regrets. Salsa dancing is the best thing since sliced bread.

False. Best thing since sliced bread? Seeing the faces of people I love (even if it is over the computer!) Shout out to my family... Mom, Dad, Betsy: I love you! You already know.

No comments:

Post a Comment